Animals March was a sonic bike ride made by a group of London bicrophonic artists as a response to the Peoples March for Climate Justice and Jobs, London, November 29th 2015.
Two hours before the march left Hyde park, 10 sonic bikes roared, squawked, chirruped, growled, purred, peeped, howled and clattered their way west from Hackney along Oxford St, ridden and accompanied by animal masked riders from the BRI studio. Calling out to other cyclists and passers-by, the riders made a big shout out to central London’s distracted christmas shoppers, inviting them to join the Climate March.
‘Animals March’ arrived at Hyde Park just as the Climate March began, joining the 70,000 marching for climate action, justice and jobs in advance of COP21 Paris.
Riders: Ana, Andy, Artur, Debbie, Fran, Hannah, Ian, Jerome, Kaffe, Lisa, Lou, Stephen & Ted
Orchestrated by bicrophonics group: Artur, Hannah, Kaffe, Lisa & Stephen
Sounds by: Artur, Hannah, Kaffe, Lisa, Michael, Paula, Stephen, Els VIane, Chris Watson, British Library, Miguel A. Garcia.
Photography: Ted Giles
PROJECT BLOG – how we made Animals March
FACEBOOK EVENT – for more pictures and messages.
CLIMATE LINKS – Campaign Against Climate Change, The People’s March facebook event and COP21 Paris
Order of mapped zones and corresponding sound files that played when cycling East to West:
- NightingaleSong (loop) from BRI studio, across London Fields and on surrounding roads.
- LongEaredOwlHoots (loop) top half of London Fields’ cycle path
- RobinSong (loop) bottom half of London Fields’ cycle path
- Horse (loop) down Broadway Market
- GrasshopperWarblerSong (loop) from the end of Broadway market, along Goldsmith’s Row (plays as top HF drone. pi2 transforms!)
- geeseFly (one shot) flies over the Regents canal bridge
- DaubentonBat (loop) along Goldsmith’s Row.
- Barnyard (loop) past Hackney City Farm, along Hackney Road
- Turkeys (loop) layersunder, around the bend in Hackney Road
- Exoticbirds + gibbon (loop) end of Hackney road and across Shoreditch High St junction
- badgercubs (loop) Old St road, leading to the roundabout
- allBATS (loop) over Old Street Roundabout and along Old St
- Cheetahhyena (loop) joins along Old Street to Goswell Rd
- cataluniafrogs2 (loop) follows on along Clerkenwell Road over Farringdon Rd junction
- TinkerBird (loop) takes over along Clerkenwell Road to Greys Inn Road
- CorncrakeSong (loop) joining Tinkerbird along Clerkenwell up to Greys Inn Road
- hippo (loop) bellows over the junction
- redfox1 (loop) takes over along Theobalds Road to junction
- DuckFLy (one shot) over the Holborn Junction
- DuckFLy2 (one shot) and again over Holborn Junction
(loop) along Bloomsbury Way to Bedford Sq
- Starling (loop) on the end of Bloomsbury Way, arriving at Tottenham Court one way
- CockCrows3Times (one shot) marking Centre Point at Tottenham Court Road
- bees (loop) takes over from starling, then along Oxford Street to Regents Street junction
- chimps (loop) from Oxford Circus, over Regents Street, along Oxford St to Bond Street Junction
- Hyena (loop) takes over from bees from Bond Street Junction to Selfridges
- wolfhowling (loop) joining hyena at Bond Street Junction along Oxford St to Hyde Park
- GrasshopperWarblerSong2 (loop) across Hyde Park, over Park Lane
- random (loop) plays either lion roaring or cat purring along Park Lane to Hyde Park Corner